Club History 1 of 4

1. Detailed Club History

The Mikes were founded in 1883 as a Youth football team attached to the local church Bible class. They played friendly matches against other local church teams until 1912.

Eventually, the desire for competitive football became evident so the teams entered a local league. As the years passed, the boys wanted to continue playing football together so moved into open age football. After progressing through several minor local the club entered the Birmingham & District Amateur League.

In 1920-21 season was successful with the capture of the Aston Villa Cup, The Birmingham Shield and the Cadbury Cup. However a split in the club occurred and a team called `Boldmere` was formed to play elsewhere. Several seasons later the two teams reformed and adopted black and white colours for their playing kit in 1925.

Either side of the Second World War, Boldmere was amongst the leading amateur clubs in the country and immediately after winning the Birmingham & District Amateur League Championship, the club entered the Central Amateur League for the 1937-38 season, finishing 8th out of twelve teams.

The following season saw an improvement to 5th place. In Easter 1939 Boldmere ventured into Europe to play in the Verviers Tournament in Belgium. Under the captaincy of legendary Captain Harold Spencer, The Mikes triumphed and returned with the trophy to be greeted by the Lord Mayor at Birmingham New Street Station.

However before a ball was kicked in the 1939-40 season, footballing activities ceased as War broke out on 3rd September 1939. With hostilities over, Boldmere marked the return to normality by taking the opening post-war Central Amateur League Championship on goal average from Coventry Amateurs.

That success was a prelude to gaining national recognition by reaching the semi-final of the F.A. Amateur Cup in 1947-48, progressed through the rounds by defeating Sheldon Town 2-0, Coventry Amateurs 5-0, Bridgett United (Stoke) 4-0, Sheffield 4-1, then Coalville Town 7-0 at home. The Mikes then beat Shildon of Durham 4-1 away, Gosport Borough Athletic 4-1 at home on Saturday 14th February 1948 in front of a crowd of 3,481.

A 1-0 win at home to Moor Green in front of a record crowd of nearly 5,000 meant they were just 90 minutes away from the F.A. Amateur Cup final. The semi-final saw the club lose 2~0 to Barnet in the game played at Arsenal's Highbury Stadium in front of a crowd of over 27,000.

That same season saw Boldmere also perform with great success in the AFA Senior Cup. They played in the final at Villa Park on 1st May 1948 in front of 9,000 spectators. The game ended in a 2-2 draw and they shared the trophy with the holders Cambridge Town.

Boldmere also finished runners-up by a single point to Rugby Town in the League.

The following season saw Boldmere regain their crown by finishing two points ahead of Ibstock Penistone Rovers. It was the club's last campaign in the Central Amateur League as their ambitions gained momentum.

The first team were elected to the stronger Birmingham League and the first season saw the club finish 14th out of 19 teams. The new decade began well. Boldmere were placed third in their second season. As semi-professional status came more into being, Boldmere's desire to remain as an amateur club saw them struggle to compete at this level and the playing fortunes of the club went into decline.

In 1963 Boldmere moved leagues again, this time to the Worcestershire Combination which later became the Midland Football Combination. In the first season, a mid-table position was achieved and then the next season saw them finish in third spot.

This placing was repeated in the 1966-67 season, however the 1970s saw them mainly in the lower reaches, although silverware did arrive at Church Road in the shape of the Combination's Challenge Cup after beating Blakenall 1-0 in the 1978-79 final. The following season saw Boldmere lift the Tony Allden Memorial Cup after a thrilling win against neighbours Sutton Coldfield Town. The 1980s got off to a slow start but eventually, in the 1985-86 season the Premier Division Championship was won by a three point margin over local rivals Paget Rangers.

There then followed a sustained period of success, which saw the Championship secured in both 1988-89 and 1989-90, while the Challenge Cup was won in 1989-90 and 1990-91. Additionally the `Runners Up` position was achieved in this competition in both 1987-88 and 1993-94 together with Tony Allden Memorial Cup wins in three successive seasons from 1989 to 1991.

In June 1971 a fire devastated the club and almost put them out of business however many changes have taken place with regard to upgrading the facilities and the building of a superb clubhouse. Other additions have been the erection of floodlights and the building of new dressing rooms and Boardroom facilities to raise the club up to Southern League standards, a level to which Boldmere aspire to play at.

The 1994-95 season saw Boldmere as founder members of the Midland Football Alliance and a successful campaign led to them finishing in a creditable 7th place in the inaugural season. The following season saw a slight improvement with The Mikes finishing in sixth position.

The 1996-97 season saw Boldmere challenging for honours throughout the season. A very creditable third place was achieved in the league behind Champions, Blakenall and runners up Hinckley Athletic.

The 2004-05 season began an new era with Rob Mallaband taking over the reins from Alan Parsons who had served for 16 seasons as Manager.

Church Road was renamed The Trevor Brown Memorial Ground after the passing of Club Chairman Trevor Brown. He did so much to improve the club off the field that it was named in his honour.

The President of the club is Harry Peakman who has fulfilled nearly ever role in the club since 1943 and still inspires others at the club with his energies and lifetime of commitment. Harry does much to ensure that the traditional core values of the club are maintained and our reputation of doing things 'the right way' continues.

When Rob Mallaband resigned due to business commitments, Coach Mick Bayley took over as Manager in December 2005.

His first piece of silverware was secured later that season as the club lifted the Walsall Senior Cup with a 1-0 win over Tipton Town at Walsall FC’s Bescot Stadium. The team retained the trophy in 2006-07 with a 3-1 final win over Goodrich.

In 2004-2005 the Reserves won the Smedley Crooke Charity Cup beating Northfield Town at Bromsgrove Rovers ground.

In 2005-2006 the youth team were finalists in the Birmingham County F.A. Youth Midweek Cup losing 1-0 to Coleshill Town at Tamworth F.C and were runners up in the Midland Youth Floodlit League.

In the 2006-2007 season, under the leadership of Manager Paul Casey, the youth team went on their best FA Youth Cup run for 13 years. Their scalps included Burton Albion before losing 2-0 away to Lincoln City at Sincil Bank.

In the 2006-2007 season despite a feeling of under achievement in league matches the first team reached an impressive 7th position in the Midland Football Alliance. In 2007-08, The Mikes improved their league placing once again, finishing fourth in the Midland Football Alliance. They also marked the end of the season with a third consecutive Bescot Stadium appearance as they retained the Walsall Senior Cup for the third year in succession.

In the summer of 2008, Mick Bayley resigned his position as manager, paving the way for Rob Mallaband to return following a spell in charge of Walsall Wood. His management team followed, consisting of former Mikes players Craig Feasey, Steve Moore and Rob Clarke, who were joined by another ex-player, Stuart Grosvenor.

2008-09 was a landmark season, marking the 125th anniversary of the club’s formation. The first team managed to equal the fourth place finish of the previous season, but were unable to secure any silverware when they were beaten by Market Drayton Town in the final of the Polymac Services League Cup at Bescot Stadium.

The Reserves ensured that the trophy cabinet wasn’t bare as they retained the Midland Combination Challenge Trophy in a dramatic comeback at Tamworth and won the Smedley Crooke Cup by thrashing Fairfield Villa. John Wilson’s team also reached the final of the Challenge Bowl.

2009-10 started as somewhat of a transitional season, but The Mikes achieved their aim of a top six finish following a superb final third to the season. Progress in cup competition proved a disappointment, with the exception of the FA Vase. Our run came to an end in the Third Round Proper at Hillheads Park, home of eventual competition winners Whitley Bay.

The Reserves enjoyed more success in cup competitions under Rob Clarke’s management, winning both league cups. The Challenge Trophy was secured for the third successive season to add to the Challenge Bowl. Striker Johaine Thompson won the league Golden Boot with 34 goals, and was also rewarded with the overall Player of the Year award for the Midland Combination Reserve Division. The Youth team overcame a difficult start to the season to finish strongly and secure a creditable 5th place in The Midland Floodlit Youth League Premier Division North.

In 2010-11 the club continued to build, with the first team securing an excellent third place finish in the MFA table. However, they missed out again in the final of the League Cup, losing 4-2 to Stratford Town, while the Reserves retained the Challenge Bowl.

2011-12 was somewhat disappointing at senior level, with both first and reserve teams finishing in mid table in what could be described as transitional campaigns. Under new manager Paul Bradley, the reserves reached the final of the Smedley Crooke Cup, losing narrowly to Lye Town. The shining light was the club’s youth team. Glenn Pooler’s team secured third spot in the MFYL Premier Division North, while skipper Josh O’Reilly was the division’s overall leading scorer.

2012-13 saw all three teams finish in mid-table of their respective divisions and the end of the season would mark the end of Rob Mallaband’s second spell in charge, with the reserve team also being disbanded.

Coach Stuart Grosvenor agreed to take the reins, assisted by Paul Bradley and Martin Dean. 2013-14 marked the last of the Midland Football Alliance and saw the club register their best ever placing, finishing runners up to Champions Tividale. The Trevor Brown Memorial Ground was once again awarded the grading to secure promotion. The club were presented with a special award for being the only member club to compete in all 20 years of the Midland Football Alliance.

2013-14 also saw Club President Harry Peakman complete 70 years of service, a remarkable feat that was celebrated as he was presented with the prestigious Lifetime Achievement award at the Sutton Coldfield Sports Awards and received a special presentation from Birmingham County FA at St George’s Park.

2014-15 was the first season of the new Midland Football League. The opening day saw Kieron Clarke score the new league’s first ever goal after 63 seconds of a 9-1 win at Rocester, which also saw Clarke register the first league hat-trick. After going into December in third place in the Premier Division, a nightmare winter saw The Mikes slip below half way, before a strong finish to the season secured a top half place.

2014-15 saw the beginning of junior football, with the successful adoption of the club’s very first under 9 team paving the way for expansion to eight junior teams in 2015-16, which also sees the first Boldmere St Michaels Ladies and Veterans teams competing.


History - Club History